Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Religious Action Center (RAC) of Union of Reform Judaism highlights NO NUKES FOR IRAN

And Who Said I Could Not Change the World?

Danielle B. Flaum is a junior at Millburn High School, NJ. She is a L'Taken Seminar graduate and an Eisner Camp alumna who loves studying Government and History.

"What you're doing is a mitzvah."

Oren2.jpgAmbassador Michael Oren's words echoed in my head as he addressed the crowd at the United Jewish Appeal of Metowest's annual Super Sunday fund-raiser phone-a-thon. Israeli Ambassador Oren spoke to the crowd at Super Sunday while holding the NO NUKES FOR IRAN car magnet created by our Teen Advocacy Program (TAP), which is dedicated to raising awareness and educating the public about the threat of an Iran with nuclear weapons.

Ambassador Oren not only held the magnet, he endorsed it! He spoke about the imminent threat of an Iran with nuclear weapons, but more importantly to me, he spoke about how essential it is to educate the public with a campaign to stop the Iranians nuclear weapons program now, distributing magnets for cars and raising banners at synagogues to keep awareness going. I was awestruck that something I created was being acknowledged, admired and touted by a national figure.

At the Super Sunday, TAP hosted a table, where we provided facts sheets on our cause, encouraged people to send electronic action alerts to their elected representatives and sold NO NUKES FOR IRAN car magnets. Our group continued to echo its message that the threat of nuclear weapons in the hands of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is the number one issue facing Jews in Israel and around the world. We educated attendees that Iran's nuclear weapons program, now known to be active, is a real and serious threat to seven million Jews living in Israel. We stated that the Iranian regime would not hesitate to threaten her neighbors, particularly Israel, with destruction if the program is successful. We reminded people that Iran's regime has made it clear that Israel must be wiped off the face of the earth.
During the morning we met several political figures including Assemblymen, Senators, and local representatives, handing each of them our magnet and describing our project, a majority responding with enthusiasm. In the afternoon, there was a hustle and bustle around the floor as the Governor of New Jersey and the Ambassador from Israel were to arrive shortly. My task was to introduce them to our project and provide them with our NO NUKES FOR IRAN car magnet representing our cause.

Although I was nervous to meet Governor Corzine as he arrived, I took a deep breath and walked through a crowd of people and right up to him, introduced myself and handed him our magnet. He accepted politely and thanked me. I then provided the Governor with some information about our project and he listened attentively, wishing me good luck at the end of our conversation. I really couldn't believe what I had just done, advising Governor Corzine that Iran must be stopped from obtaining nuclear weapons.

I was then made aware that Ambassador Oren was arriving. At first I felt would be rude to just walk up to the Ambassador, especially while UJA board members were waiting to greet him. Yet something told me not to think about that. I watched Ambassador Oren walk through the doorway and, as I focused on the Ambassador, a force inside me simply said 'GO'. I wasn't nervous, I just walked right up to him, shook his hand, and handed him our magnet as I did with every other dignitary. In my wildest dreams I did not expect what happened directly after I introduced myself to Ambassador Oren and handed him that magnet.

The Ambassador's face was suddenly filled with excitement. He was thrilled there was a NO NUKES FOR IRAN car magnet that was part of an educational and awareness campaign against Nuclear Enrichment. As I continued to explain the project, he became more enthralled. I was floored that he was spending his valuable time speaking to a high school student about a global issue. It was evident that we struck a chord with Ambassador Oren.

Then Ambassador Oren took the podium, held up his newest weapon against a Nuclear Enrichment Program and described how this NO NUKES FOR IRAN magnet was exactly what he was looking for. He iterated the importance of other current issues, however, he emphasized the need to make this project, to Stop Iran, the focus of our efforts now! His voice continued to reverberate in my ear as he proclaimed "THIS MADE MY DAY!"

We had a very successful and memorable Super Sunday. We sold and distributed over 170 car magnets at the event. Many dignitaries attended the fund-raiser, making phone calls to raise money for the Jewish community and networking with community members.

But most memorable to me was my encounter with the Ambassador from Israel and to him I say: Ambassador Oren, you made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment