Friday, March 26, 2010

Rabbi Lawrence Groffman, Temple Sholom, Cedar Grove, NJ highlights NO NUKES FOR IRAN at Shabbat Services on March 19, 2010


Two of my most powerful memories are of my parents coming home from Yom Kippur services in 1973, when I was seven years old, tearfully reporting that Israel had been attacked, and eighteen years later, feeling profound fear when Iraqi SCUD missiles landed in Tel Aviv.

Both of those moments made me feel that Israel was facing an existential threat. Although as a seven year old, I could not articulate it that way, I certainly could as a twenty-five year old. And I most certainly can now, especially when I consider the threat that Iran’s pursuit of a nuclear weapon poses to the security of the United States and Israel.

Possession of a nuclear weapon will only embolden Iran to continue its heinous acts—supporting terrorists, including those who have killed American soldiers (recall the bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut in 1983, for example), denying human and political rights to its own people, financing and training of Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad and the list goes on.

Nothing good can possibly come from Iran’s attaining a nuclear weapon. Even if it never intends to use it, the bomb will only make it feel more able to pursue its nefarious agenda. And it would not be surprising if Iran gave nuclear weapons to terrorists who might try to smuggle them into our country.

I do not believe that we can afford to minimize the risk of a nuclear weapon in the hands of Iran. I hope that our government and other governments impose tough sanctions on Iran and that businesses will divest from Iran.

We can all do our part: go to www.nonukesforiran.org to learn more about how you can get involved and go to www.uani.com to send messages to companies encouraging them to divest.

Now is the time.

Rabbi Laurence W. Groffman
Temple Sholom of West Essex
Cedar Grove, NJ 07009

No comments:

Post a Comment